Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Altec Lansing Ultra Portable Speaker Review




Altec Lansing iM-237 Orbit Ultraportable Speaker Review

Review:

I listen to music and podcasts at least a couple hours a day. I’m no where near being an audiophile, so I was looking for something that was compact/light, good quality, sounded ok and was not too expensive.

I think I found the best ipod speaker for my purpose.

The Altec Lansing iM-237 is a mono speaker (not stereo with a left and right speaker) that appears to be built with abuse in mind. It has a 2” speaker that is surrounded by hard plastic and a wire metal cage to keep the actual speaker free from punctures, tearing and damage.

Stored around the base is a 6 inch headphone jack that I find to be the perfect length.

The speaker runs off of 3 AAA batteries that lasted me about a month, so there is no shortage of music with a single set of batteries.

It is not as loud as I would have expected for its size, even with its built in amplification. I find that I need to be in the same room as the speaker and I don’t expect to be rocking out too hard when at max volume. Now that I am use to the max volume, it isn’t too much trouble to move it around the house with me when I am doing chores. That will hardly be an issue on the road.

The speaker quickly distorts sound when you increase the volume any louder than about 85% on your mp3 player or computer, but I believe the output of the speaker was tuned down to preserve battery life. It’s a fair trade if you ask me.

I find the sound to be acceptable and pleasant, but I am not picky about my sound quality.

A couple of other good features are a recessed power button with an LED power on light and a thin padded carrying case. Unfortunately the speaker will not turn itself off after some time of no input. This can quickly drain your battery if you are not careful.

This was a good buy that I will get a lot of use out of including watching movies, listening to podcasts from back home and torturing roommates with bad 80s metal.

Rating:  8/10

Price: $25.22 at Amazon

Weight: 7.2 oz

Dimensions: 3.5 x 1.6 inches (W x H)

Where to buy:  Amazon.com

No comments: