There is just a little over 4 months before leaving to get all of my preparation done. I'm posting this list here not only as a resource for someone planning a trip like this, but also to keep all my info in one place so I can easily reference it.
Create a blog. Blogger is very easy to setup and looks decent with minimal effort. Purchase all needed gear and test.My Packing List
- Get Travel Insurance. I will probably use World Nomads
- Several Dr. appointments to try and get myself fixed up before I go.
Get my teeth scrubbed
- See a travel Dr. for vaccines and travel medications . Good Vaccine List about half way down.
- Get a TON of MP3 audio books and Podcasts
- Start reading more often. Get use to being completely unplugged! And these books cant come with you.
- Get International Drivers License. Offered through your local AAA.
Have Extra Pages added to Passport.I have learned that this is easy to do on the road at many US embassies.
- Start a journal. I will probably use computer journal program. Here is a free down loadable program.
Get travel friendly Credit Cards and Banks.I can imagine the fees already!
- Get all finances and important mail set up to be viewed online easily.
- Make color copies of all important documents for myself and my family. Passport, US and International Drivers License, Credit Cards, Insurance info, tentative itinerary.
- Make a list of important info I will need to carry like embassy locations and culture/ language notes.
Learn quick full body stretches.
- Learn some useful knots. 5 Basic Knots
- Continue learning healthy ways of eating and new recipes. This will help keep me in top shape and be easier on the wallet.
- Continue learning Spanish. Good inexpensive basic begginers course.
- Decide which few countries I would like to see first and check their climates. I'm considering Guatemala, Peru, India, Australia, South Africa... all good for beginners like myself.
- Get into better shape. Be able to walk 10 miles comfortably with pack, run at least 3 miles and do 45 prison cell push ups. That means long hikes every weekend.
Get down to a healthier weight
- Get rid of all household items. YARD SALE
- Cancel all subscriptions and plans (house utilities, cell phone, Netflix, etc.)
- Store important documents and a couple other small items at families house. Suit, a few tools, photos, a bit of ransom money (just in case)
- Sell truck. Anyone want to buy a pickup truck? FRESH Paint!!!!
Find new home for my pets.The only downside I see to this.
- Quit my job.
- Walk out the door to my first day of total freedom